This article helps system administrators to understand the appearance and process of using various features of the Places tool, from the front end. The tool settings are done by the administrator in EHQ (back end), and the settings are reflected at the front end. Participants use the front end section to insert pins in the consultation area along with pin details such as comments, photos, responses to survey questions and so on. They can also view overlays in the map that are set by system administrators using GIS layers. Places tool enables system administrators to request participants and other users for information that can be tagged to a pin on a map.
NOTE: To understand the process of adding this tool in an administrator’s project’s page and use its various features, see article Places.
The following steps describe how to preview and access various features of the Places tool at the front end.
- Select the Projects link and click on the project for which you want to view the front end of Places. This displays the project’s Manage page.
- In the Manage page, click on Manage for Places.
The following Places page is displayed.
- In the Places page, click the Preview button. The following front end view of the selected place is displayed. This is the page that a participant can view and access.
Understanding Front End of the Places Tool
This section aims to explain the various features of Places available at the front end. Participants use this page to express their opinions and respond to survey questions. The front end view of this tool consists of important features used by participants. The below illustrations help system administrators to understand how changes made in the back end are implemented in the front end.
Participants can view the following features in the front end screen for Places.
In this screen, participants can do the following:
- Add a pin: After adding pins in the set map boundary, participants can add comments, photos and answer survey questions before submitting it.
- Search a location: Enter keywords of locations in the Search box to look out for the required location on the map.
- Filter by categories: This is a very useful feature and is used mostly when there are multiple pins inserted by multiple participants within the consultation area. This option is used to filter out (or hide) pins that are not required and display only the necessary ones.
- Hide Map Information: Click on the arrow (next to Map Information) to hide map information, if required.
The following steps explain how participants can use the front end.
- To add a pin, participant must drag and drop the pin inside the set boundary.
The following screen is displayed. Participants must click Cancel in case they want to delete the pin.
- In the Add Pin Details box, participants must do the following:
- Add an appropriate comment in the Your Comment text box.
- Click the Add Photo link to add an appropriate photograph. A dialog box is displayed. Navigate to the location where the photograph is located and click on it. The photo is displayed in the Add Pin Details box, as illustrated in the figure below.
The Add Photo link is displayed, only if the system administrator selects the Allow photo upload option in the Places page.
- Enter a response to the survey question. The answer must be limited to the specified number of characters.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: Participants CANNOT delete a pin after it is submitted. However, they can edit it.
After clicking Submit, the following screen is displayed. Click the Add another Pin button to add a new pin in the consultation area.
- Click the Edit button to edit details in the Pin Details box. Participants can also change the position of a pin by dragging it to the required position. After making the necessary changes, click Submit to save them.
- Participants can search for a place on the map by entering keywords of the location they are looking for, in the Search box. They can search for a location only within the area of consultation.
On selecting the desired location, the area is indicated on the map as illustrated in the figure below.
- The Filter by categories feature is used in case of multiple pins. A participant might want to filter out inessential pins, or pins inserted by other participants, retaining only the required ones. For example, to filter out ‘Marker 1’ pins, participant must move the slider in the OFF position, as indicated in the figure below. On doing this, only ‘Marker 2’ pin(s) are displayed in the consultation area.
- If multiple participants have inserted pins in the set consultation area, a participant can select the Show Only My Pins checkbox to display only that participant’s pins.
- Click Reset to display all pins inserted by various participants in the consultation area.
- Participants can magnify and reduce the magnification of an area by clicking on the Zoom in and Zoom out buttons, respectively.