This help article outlines how our 24/7 moderation service works. The moderation depends on the tool and there are slight differences. Please note that your license will outline that moderation will occur within two hours, however, in reality we are much quicker than that and usually accept or delete contributions within minutes. It also does not matter if the contributions is made by a registered participant, an administrator or an unverified participant.
What are our moderation rules?
Our moderation rules can be found on your EHQ site, under the /moderation permalink. E.g. here: community.bangthetable.com/moderation
What tools are NOT moderated?
Quick Poll and Survey & Forms are not moderated because no content will show on the public facing side of your EHQ.
The Q&A tool is not moderated because all questions are stored in the backend of EHQ and are awaiting response by the administrator.
What tools are SOMETIMES moderated?
In our Story Telling tool you can decide if stories should be moderated by us or yourself. 'On-site moderation' means that you accept or decline stories. 'Peacekeeper moderation' means that our team of moderators (the 'Peacekeepers') moderate the stories for you. The option for on-site moderation is given here because the nature of the tool means that content, including photos, can be very personal and hence you, as the administrator, should have a final say over it if you choose to.
The News Feed tool is only moderated if you enable commenting. If commenting is enabled, the News Feed is effectively moderated like the Forum tool (see below).
What tools are ALWAYS moderated?
The Forum, Places, Ideas and (post-moderated) Guestbook tool are always moderated. These are the steps of how moderation works.
- A comment, idea or pin is placed on one of the tools by the participant (we call that a contribution).
- The contribution will first need to pass an automatic filter. This filter will:
- Screen for bad language. We have a list of 300+ 'bad' words.
- Screen for known spammers. We use a service called Akismet, through which we check if the contributions comes from a known spammer.
- Screen for copy and paste. Finally, this filter also checks if the same participant has made more than 10 contributions in one minute. If they have, we mark them as spam. 10 contributions in one minute is very likely to be a user simply copy and pasting the same comment over and over again, therefore breaching the moderation rules.
- If the contribution passes this filter the contribution WILL appear on the site.
- Our moderators receive a notification that a new contribution has been made. The moderators log into our moderation portal, read the contribution and make a decision to:
- Accept the contribution. Nothing happens at this point as the contribution will simply remain on the site.
- Delete the contribution. If the moderator deems the contribution has breached the moderation rules, they can delete the contribution from the site. In this case, the contribution will be removed from the site with an explanation of why it was removed. This will also trigger an email to the participant who has contributed, alerting them that their contribution was removed and that they are invited to contribute again, adhering to the moderation rules.
- Elevate the contribution. If the moderator is unsure about the contribution, they can elevate it to a senior moderator to take a look. The senior moderator will then either accept or delete the contribution.
There are two exceptions to the process described above.
- The Guestbook offers an option to choose pre-moderation. In this case, the comment will appear on the site before it is accepted by one of our moderators. If rejected by our moderators the comment will then be removed from the page.
- In your Site Settings you will find a box that says "moderated?". If you un-select this box, there will be NO moderation on the site. We can't imagine a reason why you may want to select this and please be aware of the possible repercussion in case you do. Just don't do it!
Here is a summary table of all our tools.
|Tool||Use||Moderation by EHQ|
|Survey & Forms||No|
|News Feed||Commenting disabled||No|
|News Feed||Commenting enabled||Yes|
|Story Telling||On-site moderation||No|
|Story Telling||Peacekeeper moderation||Yes|
Can I or participants report comments we think are inappropriate?
Yes you can. The News Feed, Guestbook, Brainstormer and Forum all have a 'Report' link. Clicking this link will 'elevate' a comment as described in step 4.3 above.
If you have further concerns about contributions on your site, please send us an email to email@example.com.